Monday, April 18, 2016

Response to Irigaray

As assigned for homework, I read Civil Rights and Responsibilities of the Sexes by Luce Irigaray and felt I should give my feedback on it.

Personally, I would say that I am a bit of a feminist, so discussing how women are portrayed in a society is something I take passion in talking about.

This read stated that Antigone was a young girl who opposed political power and government. She had a profound respect for earthly things and mother nature at large, but would quickly go against the government. In this regard, it could be stated that women were feared by governmental figures, which consisted of only men. Women were often thought to be dangerous, due to many factors (such as  how women said no to men's power struggles and aims to rise to be king) however, it displays how women had passion and affection for the world that surrounds them.

I found these quotes to be interesting as well considering my feministic views: "In her view and mine, it is men who for the sake of money allow themselves to be disrespectful to nature.."

"It is men who do not care about women's work of procreation, who destroy their own bodies along with those of others for the sake of civil powers or powers of war amongst men, who are uncivil."


No comments:

Post a Comment