Sunday, April 3, 2016

Dream Log!

After remembering my dream (nightmare to be exact), I found a slight similarity to a myth we briefly discussed in class. 

The dream included a multitude of dogs chasing after me, trying to bite at my ankles. I was able to escape them but I could no longer walk due to my ankles being so damaged by the dogs bite. 

Besides waking up horrified and sweaty, I did not think much of this dream. It was only until now that I thought it related to Greek Myth, specifically the myth of Achilles. The story starts as Achilles as a baby, it was told in an oracle that he would die young. To prevent his death, his mother took Achilles to the River Styx, which was supposed to offer powers of invulnerability, and dipped his body into the water. But his heel were not washed over by the water of the magical river, due to his mother holding them. Achilles grew up to be a man of war who survived many great battles. But one day, a poisonous arrow shot at him was lodged in his heel, killing him shortly after.

Delving further I discovered that the term Achilles tendon comes from the location of the tendon being at the ankles, where Achilles' undipped ankles are located. 

The whole realm of connections from this one nightmare shows that Greek mythology is really found everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment