Thursday, April 14, 2016

Post class discussion thoughts

Yesterday in class we discussed and shared our articles pertaining to the topic of alterity in a variety of contexts. I found it to be extremely fascinating how many contexts the notion of alterity can be found in.

One individual found an article about how alterity is seen when traveling to different countries. He said that the article discussed how you need to have a variety of identities to be able to pass boarders, such as passports and visas. These individuals feel like outcasts and foreigners, and contain alterity. I have felt this way once before when I went on vacation to the Bahamas. I was very young and I looked very different from the locals, who made it obvious that I stuck out like a sore thumb. I contained alterity in their habitat, while I was out of my own.

On the other end of the spectrum, another classmate read an article about how having alterity in a learning environment may better learning outcomes, which makes complete sense. In this day and age, the education system has taken criticism over forcing students to learn specific topics, especially those that do not interest students. Although forcing students to learn these topics may better society as a whole, it does not allow the young mind to develop on their own and it does not allow the growth of the student.

Due to the interesting topics pertaining to the theme of alterity, I found this class discussion to be one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment