Friday, March 4, 2016

Reflecting on Common Time Today

Today in our FYS common time we focused on the notion of public presentation. With this, we learned the steps of how to present ideas publicly due to the necessity of public presentation in the real world.

I took away a plethora of information from the presentation given by the communication professor. Her aim was to inform us of the process of successfully putting together and executing a presentation with the use of Powerpoint, a universal presentation tool. She took us through the various steps and compared the formation of a presentation to cooking a hamburger, which I found to be extremely helpful.

She stated how the meat of the burger must be cooked first before you can put the toppings and bun on, thus the body or content of the presentation must be created first before the introduction, conclusion, and everything in between, is added to the presentation. To me this information is something I’ll take with me throughout the future, not only as a Marist student but throughout my professional life as well.

The Professor also made many valuable points regarding what NOT to do when executing powerpoints. This included putting too much text on one slide, including too many bullets on one slide, and ultimately, having a presentation with too many slides. All of which will bore an audience to the point where they may lose interest in the presentation. The Professor went into further detail about formatting and backgrounds and made a few very wise points that I did not know before. One being the fact that not everyone can see fonts sized below 20, therefore all font sizes should be 20 or above. Backgrounds play a similar role, where colors should contrast with words for easy viewing.

Overall, I found commontime to be extremely helpful in a variety of aspects which I will carry with me through my professional life. I hope to learn more on the topic of public presentation as I, in contrast to popular belief, enjoy giving presentations and being in front of a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment